Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Our Sweet Shamae...

Of course me the master procrastinator would wait all day to finally sit down and write this post in memory of our sweet friend Shamae. This isn't a post I want to be writing. Somehow I feel like if I actually write it, it will be true that she's gone and I don't want her to be gone.
On May 21st 2009 Alivia was dx with type 1 and I was lost, There was so much traning on how to keep our 2 year old daughter alive during our hospital stay but it was all medical, there was no lesson on how to keep living a "normal" life. I had so many question, I wanted to know how everyone else organized their supplies, I wanted to know how long it would take before I wouldn't have to hold down my daughter both of in tears because she needed a shot of insulin, I wanted to know how to make a freaking batch of cookies when the recipe called for 2 cups of sugar and the bag only showed carbs for a teaspoon, I needed someone who had done this before. Someone that could hold my hand and walk me through my rough patches. Someone that could tell me everything would be ok when I messed up and missed an insulin dose or miscalculated the carbs in dinner.
One night I needed a break from the hospital, Tony sat with her and for the 1st time in 4 days and I went home to shower and to walk around safeway of course looking at the nutrition facts for every single thing I picked up, I cried that entire shopping trip. I came home and for some reason decided to see what information I could find online. I don't remember exactly what I typed into google but up popped a blog "Welcome to our crazy happy life!". I started reading and I couldn't believe it, her daughters story sounded so much like mine. I left her a quick comment and headed back to the hospital. When we were finally reseased and I got a chance to turn back on my computer I couldn't believe it, not only had she reached out to me she brought along her army of other d-mommas.
 
And there you all were, all because of Shamae!
 
 
 
 
I instantly felt welcomed into their special sisterhood, a sisterhood I never would of found if not for Shamae! We were all so close, if we weren't blogging we were calling and chatting, texting, even planning meet ups when we knew we'd be passing through someone's home town or if it was Sunday night we were have one of our late night group chats. Those nights were the best, I loved Sunday nights! Sadly our Sunday night chats will never be the same, they can't be when such an amazing person is missing from it.
 
I honestly don't know how to end this post, I don't want it to be the end.
 
Shame,
 THANK YOU!!!! You were such a great friend! I know 100% that I would not be the person I am today if you wouldn't of reached out to me 4 years ago and pulled me into your circle of other amazing d-mommas!!!!
Love you!!!
 
 

6 comments:

Kristina said...

Aww sis, I'm crying as I read this! I am sorry for the loss of your friend and at the same time, SO grateful to her and your other D mamas for helping you when no one else could. Saying continued prayers for her family! <3 you!!!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Beautiful post! So painful to write, I know. How fortunate for you that you met her so soon after diagnosis. She was an amazing mentor and offered incredible support.

Joanne said...

A lovely post... she was such a big part of so many lives. I miss those chats, they were such a lifeline in those early days.

Nicole said...

I'm so happy we have our memories and comment pages to scroll through. So happy to have all you ladies in my life! Much love. Beautiful post!

LaLa said...

Beautiful post! I am so glad that we all found each other and so thankful Shamae helped build the strong bonds that we have today!

Misty said...

Another beautiful tribute to the way that Shamae passionately supported others!